Happy New Year! January seems like the appropriate time to make resolutions and goals. But alongside change, comes reflection. Looking back at the past year, one of the biggest changes I made was cutting out sugar. I mentioned a few blog posts back why and how I made the decision. With something sounding drastic and restrictive has been liberating and spiritual. It became less of an experiment and more of a lifestyle. It made me reexamine the foods I was eating and realized that sugar is in practically everything. In fact, it would be quite difficult to fully exclude sugar, especially going out to eat, you never know if someone has added a teaspoon of sugar here or there. But here are some of the few things I’ve noticed:Read More
A cold house; low morning light fills the East-facing rooms with a glow. Others remain dark. The teapot kettle is refilled and hungry for fire. The blue gas hums. Quiet. Another burner is lit and warm milk simmers to a boil. A morning ritual that has claimed the colder weeks, and a breakfast porridge that warms and settles just right in the belly (it begs to be eaten patiently and mindfully!). This is my Banana + Hemp Milk Porridge.
A few months ago, I made the decision to cut out sugar...Read More
I am writing today on the first beautiful day in August. The air is crisp and in motion. Days have been slow and the heat thick and permanent. But today is different and today is Tuesday. A fresh start to what looks like a beautiful week! Having traveled throughout the summer, I haven’t gotten back into a rhythm, which is to say I haven’t decided on a breakfast. Usually, I get obsessed with something and start making it a lot. For a while it was bread, and anything on it; for a brief moment in the mid-summer heat, I was all about hot oatmeal and hot tea (I know…), and now it’s a variety of mixes of whatever I have or whatever looks appealing that day. Not very much in a routine...but that’s ok, because that’s what I love about summer. Every day feels different, there’s an endless feeling of possibilities. And so my breakfast changes and my routine is put on hold...Read More
So to make this ice cream, you will need two ingredients: fresh raspberries and cream of coconut. That’s it! I’ve made coconut whipped cream in previous recipes, which is made by chilling the coconut cream in the fridge overnight to separate the liquid from the solidified cream and whipping that cream into a coconut whipped cream. From there, I fold in fresh, macerated raspberries, place the mixture in a container and freeze overnight until the ice cream is ready the next morning! This by far the easiest ice cream I’ve made...Read More
Can you believe it’s July 4th weekend? Just yesterday I was dreaming about summer, and now the season has arrived and it’s a beautiful time. Every berry is practically available. An array of reds, pinks, purples, and blues is a sure reminder that summer is here. Frozen berries will do 75% of the year, but the other 25% of the year when fresh berries are in season, nothing compares. They are sweet, fruity, juicy, and tart. I love all berries, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, and so I used all of them in this dessert. This is a raw vegan pie that uses fresh ingredients, no added sugar, and can be made ahead of time, so it makes for a stress-free bbq or great party gift. Just in time for July 4th, this Berry Delicious Coconut Tart perhaps is the perfect...Read More